Prices incl. VAT plus shipping costs
Monk's Cowl Benedikt with hood and rope, brown, various sizes
This long, classic-style monk's cowl is made of sturdy cotton fabric (twill weave). The sleeves have a loose cut and the wide, round neckline makes it easy to slip on the robe over the head. The hood is generously sized. If needed, it can be easily unstitched from the tunic with a seam ripper and worn separately. The provided corded belt is approx. 3.8 m long and ensures a perfect, individual fit.
The simple, timeless design of this slip on cowl makes it perfectly suitable for many occasions. Medieval (or, at large, historical) reenactment, fancy dress parties, carnival, Halloween, LARP, Fantasy or Cosplay events - the possibilities for such a costume are sheer endless.
The monk's cowl: Then and now
The religious habit is the traditional garb worn by the Catholic (and some Anglican) clerics. Still in use today, it has been the formal garment of monks, friars and nuns since the Middle Ages and is a symbol for community and poverty. The robe is always full-length and long-sleeved. Characteristic features of the Franciscan friars' frock are the so-called cincture (a rope-like belt) tied around the waist and the capuche (a shoulder and chest covering hood reminiscent of the gugel).
- Available sizes: S/M, L/XL, XXL
- Colour: brown (also available: black)
- Material: 100% cotton
- Length overall size L/XL: approx. 150 cm (measured from the centre back neck down to the bottom hem)
- Care instructions: machine wash at 40°C, gentle cycle, do not tumble dry. We recommend to wash the belt separately.
|Size Chart - Men - Tunic|
How to find the right size:
- To take your body measurements correctly in order to determine you clothing size, please always wrap the measuring tape horizontally around your body at the fullest part.
- For tops, sizes are based on your chest circumference.
- If you happen to fall between two sizes, we recommend that you go up a size.
- Ease is included in the pattern and reflected in the finished measurements.
Delivery includes the hooded robe and belt only! The accessories pictured above are available separately in our online shop.
As authentic as possible, as modern as necessary!
This monk's cowl with hood and rope is part of Battle-Merchant's line of period clothing and medieval garments for men, women and children. From the first sketch to the last stitch, this garment was planned, designed and handcrafted with particular attention to detail. Our clothes are modeled (sometimes accurately, sometimes less so) on historical examples, grave finds and original museum pieces where they exist. We always endeavour to keep the necessary adjustments to today's standards, e.g. in terms of size and manufacturing process, to a minimum. Just see for yourself!