Prices incl. VAT plus shipping costs
Viking Apron Dress Hilja with Embroidery, red/teal
Apron dresses were a staple of the Viking attire. The most characteristic features of these overdresses were the shoulder straps and the simple tubular shape. Such dresses could be fitted with slits, so-called gores (added wedge-shaped pieces of fabric) or pleats, and some variants also featured an overlapping front. They usually ended at mid-calf.
The Viking Age apron dress, also known as smokkr or hangerok (sometimes spelled hangeroc or hangerock) had two different purposes. While the plain variant was a kind of bib apron or pinafore designed to protect the outer clothing, the more elaborate variant - trimmed with braids, embroidery work, chains and oval (tortoise) brooches - was worn as a status symbol. The historical evidence for this type of dress is confirmed by finds and representations from the archaeological sites of Hedeby and Birka.
Our slip-over dress is made of thick canvas fabric (100% cotton) and thus very sturdy. It has a loosely tailored fit and features side slits. The bottom hem, shoulder straps and neckline are offset in a different colour. The Jelling (or Jellinge) style embroidery at chest level is a reproduction of a twin dragon / serpent motif that can be seen on the 10th c. silver cup of the Danish ruler Gorm. The neckline and bottom hem are both adorned with herringbone stitches. This type of stitches was already known and particularly popular for trimming hems in the early Middle Ages.
When combined with a plain Viking dress or shift, a narrow belt, box or oval brooches and a leather pouch, this apron dress is just perfect for the portrayal of a Norse woman.
- Available sizes: S, M, L, XL, XXL
- Colour: red/teal (also available: blue/mustard)
- Material: 100% cotton
- Length overall: approx. 125 cm (measured from the highest shoulder point down to the bottom hem)
- Care instructions: Machine wash at 40°C, gentle cycle, do not tumble dry
|Size Chart - Women - Dress|
How to find the right size:
- To take your body measurements correctly in order to determine you clothing size, please always wrap the measuring tape horizontally around your body at the fullest part.
- For dresses, sizes are based on your chest circumference.
- If you happen to fall between two sizes, we recommend that you go up a size.
- Ease is included in the pattern and reflected in the finished measurements.
Delivery includes the overdress only! The long-sleeved dress, the box brooches and the other items pictured above are available separately in our online shop.
As authentic as possible, as modern as necessary!
This medieval apron dress is part of Battle-Merchant's line of period clothing and medieval garments for men, women and children. From the first sketch to the last stitch, this garment was planned, designed and handcrafted with particular attention to detail. Our clothes are modeled (sometimes accurately, sometimes less so) on historical examples, grave finds and original museum pieces where they exist. We always endeavour to keep the necessary adjustments to today's standards, e.g. in terms of size and manufacturing process, to a minimum. Just see for yourself!